Thursday 3 January 2013

Fisherman towed out to sea while catching record 29lb fish

 

A man was towed out to sea in his kayak while battling to catch a 29lb10oz cod - thought to be the biggest snared in British waters from such a small vessel.

Dan Richards
Dan Richards with the 29lbs 10oz cod he caught two miles off Folkestone, Kent Photo: BNPS

Dan Richards was fishing off the coast of Folkestone, Kent in a 12ft canoe when he caught the fish.
The 38-year-old managed to haul the cod onto the bow of his kayak before paddling back to shore with the fish between his legs.
It was so large that it provided 32 separate fillets, which would be worth around £150 pounds if bought from a local fish and chip shop.
Mr Richards, a support worker for people with learning difficulties, turned down an offer of £50 from a local fishmonger and has been eating the fish with his wife Emma, 33, and daughters Jade, 14, and five-year-old Amber.
He said: "It was my first cod of the day and I couldn't believe the size of it.
"It was a struggle to get it up through the depths let alone onto the kayak which just about took the weight of it.
"I was at it for about ten minutes and it was pretty tough work.
"But it managed to tire itself out and that's when I took my chance. In the end it was like pulling a dead weight.
"When I saw the size of it I was so excited I started to shout and scream a little.
"I would have gone back after that but my mate, who was also fishing from a kayak about 50 feet away from me, hadn't caught anything so wanted to stay out there for longer."
The 29lb 10oz catch is thought to be a new record for the largest cod caught in British waters from a kayak.
Mr Richards, from Deal, Kent, added: "I had seen pictures of cod this big but never seen one for real.
"When I took it home my family couldn't believe it.
"Cod is always great but it's even tastier when you know where it has come from and just how fresh it is.
"I've been getting lots of well wishes from friends.
"It's by far the best fish I have ever caught. It is the catch of a lifetime."
Mark Lloyd, chief executive of the Angling Trust, said: "Fishing from a kayak is now the fastest growing area of the sport.
"Dan has done really well to land such a big fish from one.
"We are offering courses in fishing from kayaks so people can do it safely because although it is a great way of fishing it also has its inherent dangers.
"This was a fantastic catch. It's a healthy and energetic way of fishing and comes with a great sense of adventure."

Read More:  http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/9760778/Fisherman-towed-out-to-sea-while-catching-record-29lb-fish.html

No comments:

Post a Comment