Wednesday 21 November 2012

Tackle Test: Polarized Sunglasses Are a Must Have For Fishermen

by Todd Kuhn



Admittedly, I’m not much of a “fashion” kind of guy when it comes to fishing gear. Functionality is more my game. My favorite item being a pair of six-pocket, standard army issue pants.
As the name implies, they’re endowed with six pockets for all the “stuff” I need on a regular basis: my cell phone, wallet, reading glasses, bags of worms, beef jerky, contour maps, the occasional Boca grip, grocery list, spray-on worm goop and pliers. On occasion, there might be a half eaten sandwich in there too — when the biting is just too good to choke down the entire deli treat. Packs of Lance Nip-E-Cheese crackers nestle nicely in the cavernous camouflaged pockets too.
What’s odd is that of all the fishing gear I have, I rely on my polarized glasses more than most, yet I never give them a second thought. I’m of the opinion that a quality pair of peeps should be standard issue for every serious fisherman.
For example, I was out with a fishing buddy on a local lake, running the trolling motor and looking for signs of anything that might bite. While peering into the water I saw a bed with a gargandous female on it. Yikes! I eased the boat back around and told my buddy to come up front and check out the find.
As I pointed her out to him, he leaned closer and said, “Where?” Keep in mind this fish was big enough to swallow a small dairy cow. I pointed again, my arms flailing in even more exaggerated gestures, gruffing “right there!” He was still lost. After a few disparaging comments about his advancing age, family lineage and having lost his eyesight, I glanced at his sunglasses: he found that gem in the dollar bin. No wonder my buddy was blind as a bat to the world around him.

For those in the know, a quality pair of polarized glasses is a must when angling. Quality polarized glasses remove glare from the water’s surface and filter the sun’s harmful ultra-violet rays while providing a distortion-free field of view. Cheap sunglasses do none of these.

So if you’re thinking about getting a pair of glasses, there are two types of lenses available: glass and polycarbonate. Both offer unique advantages.

Glass lenses don’t scratch but they’re heavier than polycarbonate. Polycarbonate lenses on the other hand, scratch easier, but are lighter and offer protection against flying objects.

I recently tried a pair from Numa Sport Optics. Numa products are developed by military Special Forces personnel searching for rugged eyewear that would stand up to the rigors of combat. A tall order for sure.

I found my Numa’s very light thanks to their proprietary frame material. The polycarbonate lenses are very scratch resistant, while offering protection against unwanted flying objects. You know the stuff; slip-sinkers, jigs, topwater baits and anything you find yourself dodging as it whistles by your head. Not to mention those giant (and particularly juicy) bugs when you’re blistering across the lake.

My Numa’s had broad temple arms that keep stray sunlight from entering through the periphery of the frames. Nice. After a few days on the water, I can recommend the Numa’s wholeheartedly. Oh, and for all the other fashionistas out there just like me, rest assured, they look really cool too. ($139.99)



Article Source: http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/gone-fishin%E2%80%99/2012/03/tackle-test-polarized-sunglasses-are-must-have-fishermen
More Stories: http://gofishtalk.com

No comments:

Post a Comment